Friday, June 10, 2011

The Grudge

Just as things are going smoothly the universe throws a curve ball at you just to test how you react.  I don't have a lot of family in the states and the family I do have, are not in my life.  My mom called me from England today to tell me that my cousins husband committed suicide in February.  He drove his car to the Golden Gate Bridge, put weights in his pockets and jumped.  I haven't seen my cousin in over 15 years.  She lives 45 minutes away from me.  I can't tell you what happened, no, wait, I can...when my father died, not one of my cousins called or came over to help.  Not one, I'm sorry, not one hug, not one small gesture that they, as family, were there to support my sister, my mother, or me.  And you know what, that just plain sucks.  As a result of this, my mom cut my aunt from her life.  History has repeated itself and I have, in order to keep my own sanity, had to cut my sister from my life.

So when is enough enough?  When do you throw down the gauntlet and hash it out to where there would be some sort of communication?  It's been so long now, do I really want to communicate?  I've tried to reach out in the past and received a luke warm reception.  On far and few occasions I have seen either my aunt or one of the cousins around the bay area.  Not a word is said not even a little glimmer of recognition.  It's surreal yet how we, as a family, have learned to deal with the ultimate rejection.

When it comes to people I'm not related to I have no problem helping someone that asks but now I'm torn, do I offer up help, do I just sit and wait, or do I just shrug it off and get on with my life until another curve ball is thrown?

No comments:

Post a Comment